Packing for a 2.5 month multi-purpose trip to 2 US states and a developing country is a tad challenging. And yes that cat is coming with me on my adventure (more on that soon).
I have been traveling for quite some time and have figured a few things out along the way. So I thought I would share some of my top ten rules for packing.
10. Do NOT buy heavy and expensively pretty luggage. It should be durable, and it WILL get dirty from being processed.
9. Lay out all your clothes beforehand and choose outfits that are multipurpose and coordinate with each other.
8. Choose a neutral makeup palette and bring just the essentials (mascara, powder, tinted lip balm, blush, and one eye palette is enough for me).
7. Choose clothes that travel well and do not wrinkle easily.
6. Roll your clothes inside out to prevent wrinkles, pack tightly, and avoid getting dirty from inside your bag.
5. Bring multipurpose undergarments – I love convertible bras for this reason.
4. Wear your bulky clothes and shoes on the plane – always have a sweater/jacket, scarf, and/or socks in case the plane is freezing.
3. Use every nook of space in your luggage. For example, I always put my socks or belts in my shoes. I also keeps them from getting flattened. If I have a fragile item, I wrap it in my clothes to pad it.
2. Always leave space a little space in your luggage for gifts or mementos from your vacation.
1. The following items belong only in your carryon/personal item!!! Do not let them be away from you in case you get stranded without your checked luggage: prescription drugs, computer, camera, all chargers, jewelry, passport(!!!!), and anything else that is really delicate/valuable.
I am sure I am forgetting to pack something, but isn’t that part of the charm of traveling?