After exploring Europe for two summers in a row, I’ve become kind of finicky about finding new and exciting places to visit in dear old Cleveland. I can appreciate going out to eat at Applebee’s but sometimes I just crave a little culture and some spice in my life.
That being said, the first time I stepped foot in The Algebra Tea House all of my cravings for art, culture and a healthy but hearty ethnic meal were abundantly filled.
Now don’t be dismayed by your feelings for math just yet. Although I come from a family where my mother not only drinks tea on the regular but also knows math facts like a wizard, I have neither a taste for Tea nor Algebra. It’s true, the Algebra Tea House offers 22 different flavors of tea BUT I was particularly drawn to their Middle Eastern dishes and the Bohemian atmosphere. They offer lunch and dinner throughout the week and brunch on the weekends (if you’re so inclined to wake up before 1 pm).
As a college student, I’m practically living day to day on a dime but I couldn’t even disagree with how inexpensive a platter of hummus, tomatoes, cucumbers or olives and a warm pita was. Not to mention, I had to grab a Java milkshake, which only added up to $10.98.
Cool things to know before you go:
– All of the wood (tables, chairs, window beams, doors, cutting boards, etc.) is handmade from local suppliers.
– Drinks come in quirky ceramic mugs, created in the art studio down stairs. (You are are able to purchase them as well!)
– There are very cool and somewhat abstract artworks hanging on the walls that Ayman, the owner, made himself!
– You MUST check out the bathroom. No joke! It is just as interesting as the rest of the cafe.
– There are various board games that will bring back your childhood; as well as sketchbooks when you are feeling artsy – all at your disposal!
– Sometimes there’s pistachios on the counter for customers to snack on. (There’s always old-school coca-cola in the vintage fridge for you to sip on and get a sugar rush from!)
I’ve been to the Algebra Tea house probably 6 or more times now, always staying between 2-3 hours, simply because of the great atmosphere, interesting people I meet and the fact that there is so much to look at. I never want to leave…
The Algebra Tea House is located at 2136 Murray Hill Rd, Cleveland, OH. You can also reach the tea house at (216) 421-9007.
Check back soon for spiffy places to see in Coventry!